die freudige hausfrau

12.4.06

Glücklich Passahfest - Happy Passover

So, thanks to Jordan’s shopping trip yesterday we were all set for our small private Passover Seder tonight. Jordan made charoset this afternoon and I came home from work at little early to make some matzo-ball soup. While we didn’t have Mom’s Brisket, the gifilte fish, soup, traditional hard boiled egg and the matzo / charoset sandwiches made for a nice Passover meal.

Being in a foreign land and forgetting to pack things like a Haggadah, we made do with one we found on the internet. You can just picture the two of us sitting at our tiny table passing the laptop back and forth attempting to retell the story of Passover without spilling the sweet kosher wine (bottled in Bayone, NJ!). The Haggadah was not the best, but it worked.

In the end it was nice to have a small Seder and commemorate the holiday. We don’t normally do much for this holiday other then make a special meal, but it seemed worth it to go to some extra effort this year. We seldom make it back to the East Coast to observe with family. Being this far away from family on a holiday like this makes me think that perhaps in future years we will make more of an effort to get back to New York to celebrate with the clan. I suppose distance is all relative. Oh yes, and I don’t think I can stomach another year with the internet Haggadah and fine “wine” of New Jersey. If I’m going to be consuming products from the great state of New Jersey for the holidays, it should be Mom’s Brisket from Becca’s kitchen.

1 Comments:

  • How do you say "crock pot" in German? Brisket's really not so hard to make once you get the hang of it...

    I love the mental image of you guys passing the laptop back and forth. But I love the mental image of you sitting at my seder table even more. Next year in New Jersey???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 13, 2006 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter create hit